Fake Apps - How to Stay Safe
Watch Out For Fake Apps!
The holidays are here and the scammers are out in force. Their latest trick is fake apps. Starbucks started the first "retail app" it, and many stores have followed...
But scammers are now creating fake apps, trick you into downloading them to your smartphone or tablet, and ask you to load your credit card information in these apps. You can guess what happens next.
Here are 5 things to keep in mind about this Scam of The Week:
- Be very judicious in deciding what app to download. Better safe than sorry.
- If you *do* decide to download an app, first thing to check is the reviews,
apps with few reviews or bad reviews are a big Red Flag.
- Never click on a link in any email to download a new app. Only go to
the website of the retailer to get a link to the legit app on the AppStore
or Google Play.
- Give as little information as possible if you decide to use an app.
- Be very, very reluctant to link your credit card to any app!There is more information about this at the New York Times:
11/07/technology/more-iphone- fake-retail-apps-before- holidays.html
Thanks to the lads and ladies at KnowBe4 for this great information!
Victimized by this scam? Need help with any of this? Reach out to me by submitting a ticket here.