Yahoo breached! What you need to do
Yahoo announced that 500 million of their accounts were hacked and are sold by internet criminals. Bad guys are going to use this information in a variety of ways. For instance, they will send phishing emails claiming you need to change your Yahoo account, looking just like the real ones. Here is what I suggest you do right away:
- Open your browser and go to Yahoo. Do not use a link in any email. Reset your password and make it a strong, complex password or rather a pass-phrase.
- If you were using that same password on multiple websites, you need to stop that right now. Using the same password all over the place is an invitation to get hacked. If you did use your Yahoo passwords on other sites, go to those sites and change the password there too. Also change the security questions and make the answer something non-obvious.
- Use a free password manager that can generate hard-to-hack passwords, keep and remember them for you.
- Watch out for any phishing emails that relate to Yahoo in any way and ask for information.
- Now would also be a good time to use Yahoo Account Key, a simple authentication tool that eliminates the need to use a password altogether.
Thanks to the lads and ladies at KnowBe4 for this great information!
Need help with any of this? Reach out to me by submitting a ticket HERE.